With the start of a new year, we often think about what we want to achieve in the coming months to set the tone for the year ahead. If building a custom home is one of your goals, this article will help you think about what goes into building a new home and some of the questions you’ll want to answer before committing to this big project.
What are you looking for in your new home?
This may sound like a pretty and simple question, but the details involved are extremely important. Many of the clients that we meet and work with one-on-one have dreamed about building a log and timber home for years. They generally know which specific attributes they want the home to have and they usually have most things mapped out from the square footage to the colour of the curtains.
On the other hand, some of our clients have a very brief concept with a plethora of ideas that it gets a little confusing when decided what will look best or work with the land that they have. You want to have a clear plan before you start building your home so that you can avoid any future changes to the project once production and construction starts.
If you want to know how to choose the right log home design, check out one of our recent articles that walks you through some of the key things to consider.
What are the steps for building a custom home?
Building a log home requires lots of physical and hard-work for all parties involved. More often then not you’re going to have questions like:
- How long does it take to build a log home?
- How much will it cost to build a log cabin?
- Where should you build a log cabin?
- How many and what types of logs?
- Can someone make their own log home if they have building experience?
The questions are endless and it’s best to do the research involved to know exactly what it takes to build a log home. At Artisan we want to make sure all your questions are answered, so we are here to help you through the entire process.
The Steps Involved
For new home builders, it can be extremely taxing when it comes time to start building a home. Here are some of the stages that will be involved in the building and constructing process:
- Planning Your Log Cabin – this stage usually involved the overall design of your home and the floor plan you envision. From the area of land to home size, to building codes that need to be met and overall costs of the home. This is the crucial stage that begins the rest of your home building process.
- Picking log types – Selecting the best logs for your log cabin is essential as it will reduce maintenance, improve insulation properties and improve the longevity of your log home. Whether it be spruce, pine, cedar, your contractor will discuss this with you.
- Foundation – A log cabin foundation must carry the weight and load of a log cabin. This is an important step to ensure the longevity and durability of your home.
- Log installation – This is the stage in which your logs will be laid to begin the framework of your home. Before you can begin though you will need to decide on the type of notching system you will use. Notches are scribed into logs and join the corners of your log home. You can discuss this with your contractor.
- Exterior and Maintenance –Last but not least. Once your log home is built the final stage is sealing and weather proofing it. Weather conditions such as extreme heat, moisture and dampness can easily damage your home if it’s left untreated and unfinished. The most important factors are to clean, chink and stain your cabin. What could be worse than building a beautiful home and not finishing the last step?
How to find the right builder to build your home.
Not all home builders are going to be the same, so it is important to understand what type of relationship you want to have with your builders and contractors to ensure you have a great experience when it comes to building your dream home.
If you are the type of person that wants to be involved in every aspect of the build, you will want to find a company that will keep you in the loop, invite you down to their log yard and share all the latest progress and updates. On the other hand, you might want to have a completely hands-off approach. When taking that all into consideration its imperative to find a company that you fully trust and can get the necessary updates from when and how you’d like.
A good builder and designer can ultimately make or break a project, so make sure you spend some time having those detailed conversations. Realize that the price isn’t always the most important factor if you can’t communicate or trust the team you have working with you.
To help you with selecting the right builder check out our article “6 Key Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Home Builder”.
Are you ready to begin building?
It takes a lot of time and effort to build a home and there will be many hurdles and stressful situations that will arise. You need to discuss this with your family and be prepared for some ups and downs along the way. By being as clear as you can with the expectations you have for your home and the expectations you have for your builders, a lot of this stress can be avoided. It’s important to hope for the best but plan for the worst; even if you prepare as much as possible there will likely be a few things along the way that require a little extra attention.
If you are considering building a custom home this year or the next, we encourage you to learn and understand as much as you can to prepare you for the process. Check out our Log Home 101 section, visit our plans and galleries section and look through our blog.
We want to help you understand what to expect when it comes to building a home and ensure that every detail comes together perfectly in the end. Your custom log home will feel like it has always belonged exactly where it stands and have the personal touch you’ve always wanted. In saying that, your new home will now be something you can safely and happily welcome your family into for years to come. At Artisan we stand by this.
Are you considering building a new home? Do you have additional questions regarding the process, what’s involved and how to get started? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!