Over the years we have designed, built and exported a number of custom log and timber homes to the United States and abroad. If you live in the US and have always wanted to build a custom log and timber home right now is the perfect time to build. With the current exchange rate you could save up to 30 or 40% on your custom home.
How Much Will a Custom log and Timber Home Cost With the Current Exchange Rate?”
When it comes to building a custom log home honestly, the sky is the limit. Depending on the style of home you are building (full scribe log home, Timber Frame, Post and Beam or Hybrid), the cost can vary. Other factors that can adjust the price include: specific features, square footage, transportation and other additional add on’s.
To help give you a baseline, here is a quick breakdown of cost per square footage in Canadian Dollars:
- Timber Frame Log Home: $45 – $75 Canadian per square foot
- Post and Beam Log Home: $45 – $75 Canadian per square foot
- Full Scribe Log Home Shell: $60 – $150 Canadian per square foot
With the current exchange rate in September 2016 it means that you could be saving up to 35%.
Another huge savings when purchasing a Canadian log package and importing it into the USA is that there is no 5% Canadian sales tax. So your log home package is tax free. *Please check with individual state laws to understand if there are any import taxes involved.
Calculate Your Savings
To calculate these estimated costs into US funds and see the potential savings you can use an currency exchange tool.
Visit the Bank of Canada Currency Converter for the latest posted exchange rates.
For many of our clients cost becomes a big factor in deciding what to build and who will help you build it. If you would like to discuss your plans and ideas further fell free to contact us.
If you are still wanting to research and understand a bit more about what is involved when working with a Canadian custom log home builder check out these popular articles:
- The Advantages of Choosing a BC Custom Log Home Builder: This article shares some of the key benefits of choosing a custom builder in British Columbia.
- 6 Key Questions to Ask before Hiring a Home Builder: When it comes to hiring a builder for your custom home you want to make sure you ask these questions.
- Building Your Log Home 101: This sections discusses the most common questions asked by clients when it comes to building a custom log home.